As I wrote about in last week’s post, I truly believe that lifelong learning is one of the keys to driving success in your career.
Learning doesn’t need to be expensive, and there are some awesome free and relatively inexpensive marketing and PR resources available online that really will help you boost your skills in specific areas of marketing and PR. In this post, I share 10 of my favourites.
Free marketing and PR resources
- Hubspot Inbound Certification – HubSpot’s Inbound Certification includes eleven classes that cover the core elements of the Inbound Methodology. From the essentials of an effective inbound strategy to landing page anatomy to segmenting your contact database, these classes are the bread and butter of what inbound is all about. I wrote more about my experience the Hubspot Inbound Certification here.
- Public Relations Institute of Australia – the PRIA site offers free and paid webinars related to the Australian PR industry. Free webinars are located here, while upcoming paid topics are listed here, and include digital marketing strategy and crisis communications.
- Coursera – one of the largest online learning providers available. Last year, a couple of my team members did short courses through Coursera on neuro-marketing, while others who had not come from a marketing background did introductory marketing courses. There’s thousands of courses to choose from, so get in there and check it out!
- Canva Design School – Visual content marketing creation tool, Canva, burst onto the online world last year, and provides an easy interface to make great visual graphics for your content marketing initiatives. Canva also released the free Canva Design School, a series of video tutorials about how to create compelling visual content. While this course won’t automagically turn you into a graphic designer, it will give you some key design principles and tools to consider.
Paid marketing and PR resources
- Hootsuite University – this online course lets you stay up to date in today’s rapidly changing media landscape through social media education and an industry-recognised certification. Learn to manage your social media like a pro!
- FBInfluence – a Facebook marketing course which covers core strategies of Facebook marketing and instructions on how to execute them.
- MarketingProfs University – offers a range of online courses covering content marketing, search marketing, marketing writing bootcamp, marketing measurement and analytics and social media marketing.
- Content Marketing Institute – the Content Marketing Institute Online Training and Certification program provides more than 19 hours of online education that will help you build a strong foundation for your content marketing efforts in seven key areas: planning, audience, story, channels, process, conversation and measurement.
- Ragan Training – The Ragan Training membership gives you instant access to the topics you’ve been searching for best practices and ready-to-use ideas on: executive communications, internal communications, intranets, SharePoint, media relations, crisis communications, social media, public relations and marketing, writing and editing, video and mobile.
- Mediabistro – provides a range of online courses about copywriting, copyediting, digital journalism, digital marketing, social media marketing and public relations.
So there’s 10 content-packed resources to get you going!
What I love about all of these resources, is that you can do the programs online at your own convenience. I’ve done a bunch of online courses directly from my iPad, and I often listen to audio courses on my walk to work, using my iPhone.
The other benefit in doing online courses is that there is usually an attached forum or discussion group, which can be a great way of meeting people from all over the world, and learning from their experience.
Whether you choose online courses, in person workshops, podcasts, reading, formal or informal studies, keep expanding your knowledge and putting it into practice!
I would love to hear how you keep your skills and knowledge up to date.